Who has posted your favorite blog?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Paradise

                                                                

Jesus said to the man hanging next to him on the cross, "Today, you will be with me in paradise."  It's easy to argue over the grammar used in the translation of Jesus' words.  Perhaps it's not so easy to see the thief on the cross hearing those words.  What good thing had he done?  Not much good is reported about this man.  He was a thief.  How real was his repenting?  Doesn't sound like he repented.  What theology did he follow?  We're not sure he knew any theology.  What "hermeneutic" was the driving force behind his study of scripture?  Doubtful he new such a thing as a "hermeneutic?" 

So what did Jesus see in this man that he would offer him paradise-on that very day?  One thought is that the story revolves around not what Jesus saw in the man, but rather what the man saw in Jesus.
Maybe that thought holds the key for the thief, and perhaps that thought holds the key for me in living with and for Jesus.

When I can see that Jesus is the center of my faith and not my accomplishments, perhaps then I'll be able to see Jesus as my daily rescuer, my companion, and my friend.

And what a friend he is!

HTBH


He seemed to know Jesus.  In his travels he probably had heard of this man who offered hope and acceptance to everyone he met.  He seemed to sense this person hanging next to him was different.  He thought he could tell there was hope for him.  Then he did the unthinkable.  Then he took a step that was as difficult as the one Zacchaeus took when he climed the tree to see Jesus.  Then he did what would be hard for me, maybe all of us.  Then he asked Jesus to be a part of his kingdom.  There was no waiting to ask this question.  Time was running away from him.  There was no time to formulate the words.  There was no time
wonder if it was the right thing to do.  He simply said, "Lord, remember me in your kingdom."


Often we refer to Orcas Island as paradise.  "Just another day in paradise."  Orcas is cool, but to be remembered by Jesus is beyond description.  I'm glad he will remember the thief on the cross, and I'm glad he will remember all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment